The Design Transparency Series
“Recognizing the need is the primary condition for design.”
— Charles Eames, architect and graphic designer
Friends, I don't know how many times I've had a client come into a consultation cautious and hesitant about the design process. I've gotten countless questions from people about if the design process is right for them, if it's worth it to spend the money to work with a designer, if they can make it with a "logo" they "designed" in word? On and on and on.
I think this shows that designers in general (myself included) haven't been as transparent as we need to be about the value we add, the process in general and the expectations of working with us.
After taking the time to explain to my clients the step by step process, what it entails, what they will get and what value I will add to their business, the deer in the headlights look fades, their shoulders relax, and they are all ears for what they need to do to jump into the process and start working on their brand.
My goal with this blog post series is to equip, empower and add a little more transparency to the mystery of working with a designer.
Hiring a designer shouldn’t be a scary experience and it shouldn’t be wrapped up in mystery. Now each designer has their own process, pricing, expertise and background, so I am going to try to be as general as possible to give you a good idea of the overall industry. But of course, some answers may be more personalized to my process and expertise.
Even if we don’t end up being soulmates, I want you to be equipped to find a designer that will be a natural fit for you and your project.
So what can you do?
Send me your questions! Any question you have is fair game!
- If you're curious about what you steps you need to take to get ready for the process, ask away!
- If you literally have no idea what the design process is like and why it can be so time consuming, ask away!
- If you're curious about where designers get inspiration and how they bring it all together, ask away!
- If you're still a little bit hesitant and want to know why the investment is worth it, just ask!
I'll be posting each day on instagram and facebook, so be sure to follow along and comment with your questions! You can also always send me DMs or private messages with your questions or even comment below!
- Why is it important to hire a designer?
- How do I gather inspiration for a project?
- Why can't I just buy a $10 template online and call it good?
- Do designers just create pretty logos?
- What are the most important graphic design investments to make when you're just starting out?
- What does the investment look like?
- When is the right time to hire a designer?
- What do I need to look for when hiring a designer?
- What should I do to prepare myself to work with a designer?